- ¿Qué hay en la foto?
- ¿Te preocupa la contaminación? Explica tu respuesta.
- ¿Qué has hecho recientemente para proteger el planeta?
How the Photo-based speaking task work
Once you have the photo with the questions, you will have a couple of minutes to study the picture and the questions (it is very important that you understand the meaning of the questions well), during this time you could make notes on a separate piece of paper.
Remember that to describe a picture, you must start by thinking about what can be seen, for instance, describe the place, the objects around it, and where they are located. If there are people, say who there are and what those people are doing…
The expressions below can be very helpful for your photo-based speaking task:
- en esta foto hay… (in this photo, there is/are …)
- la foto trata de… (the picture is about …)
- en primer plan… (in the foreground…)
- al fondo… (in the background… )
- es posible ver… (it is possible to see…)
- a la izquierda… (on the left)
- a la derecha… (on the right…)
Verbs and phrases to express opinion will be also very useful:
- parece que… (it seems that…)
- probablemente… (probably…)
- creo que… (I think that…)
Then, for three minutes, you will have to answer five questions, there will be three on the photo card, plus two other questions related to the topic, which will a surprise.
How to prepare, with us, the PHOTO CARD task
The task above is part of the environment theme within the syllabus of the AQA GCSE Spanish and we will take it as an example.
The first thing will be that you are familiar with the Spanish vocabulary about the environment, knowing this vocabulary will give you a lot of confidence when it comes to explaining your points of view.
The most important thing is that you practice your speaking skills a lot, for example, you will work with this card in one of our conversation classes dedicated precisely to talking about the environment.
We have different photo cards created. They are based on past papers and cover the most popular topics from the GCSE AQA Spanish Syllabus so that our students are prepared to undertake this task with confidence.