The Photo Card task is a part of the speaking exam in GCSE AQA Spanish. The examiner will provide you with a photo or picture of this task. Your teacher will ask you the three questions on the photo card and two questions you haven’t seen, and you will need to describe them and answer questions related to them.
See the example below related to describing and discussing your ideal city in Spanish.
Photo card about your ideal city
Instructions to candidate
- You should look carefully at the photo during the preparation time.
- You can make notes on a separate piece of paper.
- Your teacher will ask you questions about the photo and about topics related to your ideal city in Spanish.
You will be asked the three questions below and then two more questions that you will not see during the preparation time:
- ¿Qué hay en la foto?
- ¿Te gustaría vivir en una ciudad como está? ¿Por qué o por qué no?
- ¿Cuál es tu ciudad preferida? ¿Por qué?
How to be ready for the photo card task
You will have some time to prepare for the task. You should try to use a range of vocabulary and grammar structures, for instance, different tenses, to show your ability to use the language and manage various resources to express your opinion clearly and convincingly. If you are registered as VIP student, you will be able to practice this activity with a Spanish tutor during a lesson. Also will be useful for you to improve your vocabulary about a city.
Remember the photo or picture could be on any topic related to the GCSE Spanish syllabus, such as hobbies, daily routine, family, school, or holidays. The aim of this task is to test your ability to communicate effectively in Spanish and demonstrate your understanding of the language and culture
More activities to talk about your ideal city
There are many possibilities you have to talk about your city during your GCSE AQA Spanish. In addition to being able to talk about your ideal city in Spanish, we have other activities that will help you talk about and describe your city or neighborhood in Spanish. Click on the previous link to discover them.
You will also find it very useful to listen to the podcast ¿Cómo es tu barrio (How is your neighborhood)? Listen to the podcast a couple of times and answer the questions.
Tips to succeed in the Photo Card task for AQA GCSE Spanish
To succeed in the Photo Card task for AQA GCSE Spanish, you should keep in mind the following tips:
- Prepare beforehand: Before the exam, practice describing and discussing pictures on different topics. Look for resources such as online exercises, past papers, and textbooks to help you build your vocabulary and improve your grammar.
- Listen carefully to the examiner: Pay attention to the instructions and questions from the examiner, and answer them directly. Try to stay focused on the topic and avoid going off on tangents.
- Use a variety of language: Use a range of vocabulary, phrases, and tenses to show your ability to use the language effectively. Try to use connectives and transition words to link your ideas and make your speech coherent.
- Be confident: Speak clearly and confidently, even if you make mistakes. Don’t worry too much about being perfect, as the examiners are more interested in your ability to communicate in Spanish.
- Practice your pronunciation: Work on your pronunciation by listening to native speakers and imitating their accents and intonation. This will help you sound more natural and improve your communication skills.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for clarification: If you don’t understand a question or need the examiner to repeat something, don’t hesitate to ask. It’s better to ask for clarification than to give a wrong answer.
Overall, the key to success in the Photo Card task for AQA GCSE Spanish is to prepare well, stay focused, and communicate effectively. With practice and perseverance, you can master this task and perform well in the exam.