Learning how to talk about your family in Spanish can be particularly useful since it is an excellent excuse to start a conversation. On the other hand, if you are going to take the GCSE Spanish exam, it is an absolute must. Examiners seem to love asking about family, so make sure you are ready for it.
To do this, we are going to work with a video with subtitles, where a girl, María, is introducing her family, we have also some quizzes to prove your knowledge and a final writing task where you will have to write, precisely, about your family in Spanish. Of course, we will have to review some grammar topics, but, first, we are going to work on the vocabulary about family in Spanish.
Hablando de la familia (Talking about family)
In this video, you are going to watch a Spanish girl introducing her family to a friend. You take note of what she says and use it as a model to be able to talk about your own family in Spanish. Remember to repeat what you hear several times to memorize the examples and practice pronunciation ¡Vamos a empezar!
As you have seen when you talk about your family you can also say …
- their names: Mi padre se llama Carlos y mi madre Alicia.
- their professions: Mi madre es escritora (writer).
- where they live: Mis abuelos viven en un pueblo (village) de Alicante.
Here you have more examples to talk about your family members:
- Mi hermana mayor no está casada, está soltera (My older sister is not married, she is single).
- Tengo un hermano pequeño, se llama Pedro y tiene 8 años (I have a younger brother called Pedro, he is 8 years old).
- ¿Cómo te llevas con tus hermanastros? (How do you get on with your stepbrothers?).
- Soy hijo único, aunque tengo muchos primos, me gustaría tener hermanos (I am an only child, although I have many cousins, I would like to have brothers and sisters).
- Mi abuela es viuda, mi abuelo murió hace cinco años (My grandmother is a widow, my grandfather died five years ago).
Exercises about family in Spanish
Now it is time to practice everything you have learned with some quizzes.
Háblame de tu familia (writing task) 📝
Now you have to put into practice everything we have seen so far, writing an essay of about 200 words about your family in Spanish. Remember that you can talk about their professions, and their age, and describe them physically or their character.
Once you finish the text, send it to your tutor to be corrected. Don’t you have a Spanish tutor yet?